Fun Facts About Texas
Texas is known for hundredths of things. From being the place where Dazed and Confused was filmed to the birth place of Matthew McConaughey among other things. But to make things more simple, here is a list of random facts and a video about Texas facts that you should know.
- Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
- Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The Dublin Dr Pepper, 85 miles west of Waco, still uses pure imperial cane sugar in its product. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.
- Texas comes from the Hasinai Indian word tejas meaning friends or allies.
- Texas includes 267,339 square miles, or 7.4% of the nation’s total area.
- The state was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845.
- Texas is the only state to have the flags of 6 different nations fly over it. They are: Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederate States, and the United States.
- Texas’ largest wind farm is about 4.5 times the size of Manhattan.
- The fastest road in USA is in Austin, Texas. It has a speed limit of 85 mph.
- Jason Aldean’s hit song “Take A Little Ride” was originally released with lyrics referencing Texas beer Shiner Bock, but he was forced to re-record it with the beer name changed to “Rocky Tops” due to an endorsement deal he’d signed with Coors.
- Seven Texas cities have all had their turn at being the state’s capital: Washington-on-the-Brazos, Harrisburg, Galveston, Velasco, West Columbia, Houston, and Austin.
Have more facts about Texas? Please share them on the comment section below!